This gluten free and dairy free Italian chicken pasta will make you drool! My family loved it, including the four year old. She is hard to please so it must be good! She even ate the tomatoes, which pretty much never happens.
It was quick and easy to make. It only took 10 minutes to prep and 30 to cook. I used my trusty wok, just because I think it cooks the chicken a little faster and I like how easy it is to toss the ingredients in a wok, but you could just as easily use a pan. It is a one pan dinner, plus a pot just for boiling the noodles in so clean up is quick and simple.
We put our herb garden to use and the kiddo ran out to get the rosemary and basil nice and fresh. I noticed that I have been cooking more Italian dishes since we grew basil this summer. A little garden can be such an inspiration. I think it may have inspired my kid to eat the whole bowl of pasta. She proceeded to tell us how she cooked it and the potatoes, aka tomatoes, were going to make her grow.
I used 4 large chicken thighs, which was probably about a pound. However, feel free to make the right amount of meat for you. I also made 3/4 of a box of Barilla gluten free penne noodles, and that was a bit much. I think half a box would have been enough, even for 4 people. There were a lot of leftovers. I am not complaining, that is lunch for tomorrow!
This is a great leftover, but it tastes much better reheated. Gluten free pasta just isn’t that great cold. It gets really hard and not tasty at all, at least Barilla gluten free does in my experience. It is fabulous warm though! Even better, you can get it for $1.99 a box at Target. Way cheaper than most of the fancy grocery stores, at least around here in Seattle.
- 4 Large Chicken Thighs approximately 1 pound
- 2 Zucchinis small
- 1 Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Cup of Daiya Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of Margarine
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary, or 1 Tablespoon of Dried
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Basil or 1 Tablespoon of Dried
- 1 Teaspoon of Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar or Honey (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1/2 a Box of Gluten Free Barilla Penne Pasta, or which ever pasta you prefer
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Salt for Water
- Chop the chicken thighs into 1 inch sized cubes. Heat pan or wok. Lightly sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan. Cook chicken until lightly browned.
- Start water boiling and salt it lightly.
- Chop zucchinni into small pieces and add to pan.
- Add fresh rosemary, do not chop.
- Chop fresh basil and add along with all other spices.
- Add can of fire roasted tomatoes, margarine and optional 1 tablespoon of butter or honey.
- Stir and cook for a full 30 minutes.
- Add noodles to water when boiling, cook according to box instructions. Strain and add to pan. Top with Diaya cheese and then toss with everything together .
- Top with some fresh herbs if you have them. Or just serve as is.
Enjoy! Let me know how you make it your own. It would be good, and vegan, with mushrooms, or asparagus too. But that, is for another day. Provecho!